People have been going MAD over the hit TV series, Mad Men on AMC. The award winning show fuels our love for vintage fashion and has been inspiring many 1960′s style brides and celebrations.
Here’s my quick recap:
*All photos courtesy of Brides.com
- Retro style hair waves (use a large barreled curling iron to get them)
- Where a pair of white wedding gloves (shorter styles work best)
- Get a wedding dress with sleeves- women of the day were too modest to show off their shoulders
- Where a birdcage wedding veil
- Choose knee or secretary length bridesmaid’s dresses (“wiggle dresses”)
- Wear bold, red lipstick
- Serve 1960′s style cocktails like Mint Julep’s (bourbon, mint and sugar) in vintage glasses
- Wear pearl jewelry-or adorn your bridesmaids with them
- Rent a vintage luxury car for your transportation instead of a limo
I love love love these Mad Men inspired wedding invitations created by Danielle Leopold Designs. Every single detail, from the bold colors and unique fonts to the vintage photograph RSVP cards was cleverly constructed to complete the ultimate vintage invitation set.
This backyard style Mad Men inspired wedding, photographed by Dana Grant and posted last year on the brilliant Green Wedding Shoes blog has been bookmarked for 10 months and it’s still as impressive as it was when I first came across it.
There are SO many extraordinary images and details to this celebration that you cannot miss. Visit Green Wedding Shoes and get the complete coverage of Catie and Ben’s Real Wedding. After four incredible seasons, there should be plenty more 1960′s Mad Men inspiration circulating the web.
In case you haven’t heard, there’s a new vintage era in TV land. HBO’s latest series, Boardwalk Empire, has opened up eyes and hearts to the fabulous Roaring 1920′s. Beaded, fringed and feathered frocks, pearls galore and Great Gatsby style parties… need I say more? If only I could have been a real flapper…
Finding an amazing and glamorous 20′s style gown should not be a difficult task these days. Bridal Gowns by Jenny Packham and Sue Wong bridesmaids dresses immediately come to mind but there’s much more out there. Of course, any ensemble can be jazzed up (cheesy pun intended) with 1920′s style jewelry and adornments.
Here’s one of my Great Gatsby style inspiration boards:
- Vintage feather place cards from Catherine Hall
- Bride with long vintage veil from Elizabeth Anne Designs blog
- Fall 2011 Jenny Packham wedding dress via Brides Magazine
- Sue Wong bridesmaid dress found for $159 on Gilt Groupe (big steal!)
- Beautiful orchid “Gatbsy style” centerpieces by Preston Bailey- seen on Project Wedding
- Pearl and Rhinestone bracelet from T’s Studio Jewelry- $85
- Vintage feather and brooch floral bouquet photo taken by Ashlee Carter of Sakura Photo, featured on La Belle Bride
Just a small taste of 1920′s style wedding photography by Rosie Parsons
Former vintage bride, Ebony, will have you gasping for air over her amazing DIY, 1920′s style wedding photos. Her creativity, attention to detail and sense of style is off the charts.
Head over to Ruffled to see the full wedding set and I guarantee you will not be disappointed!
Category: bridal accessories, bridal bouquets, Bridal Gowns, Bridesmaids, Ceremony, Fashion, Favorites, Flowers, Gifts, Hair, Handmade, Jewelry, Planning, Reception, Resources, shoes, stationery, STYLE INSPIRATION, Vendors, VINTAGE, Websites